What is Minimal Intervention (MI) Dentistry?
MI dentistry is all about keeping your teeth and gums healthy for life, no matter what your age. Today’s dentistry is not just about treatments to fix problems, MI dentistry is a modern and preventative approach embracing whole body health and less invasive treatment options.
It’s effective because it helps you and your dental team work together to reduce the damaging impact of daily life on your teeth and gums.
It combines the very best oral health advice, with the most up-to-date dental knowledge, skills and products to help you maintain healthy teeth and gums for life.
Remember, Minimal Intervention dentistry works with you to help keep your teeth healthy for life.
Why is Minimal Intervention important?
‘Prevention is better than cure’ – this philosophy is at the heart of MI dentistry. Not only will you enjoy better oral health, but you’ll also understand how to maintain it throughout your life, not to mention a better looking smile!
The aim of MI dentistry is to reduce the risk of the more expensive, invasive dental treatments by maintaining a healthier mouth and visiting a dentist regularly. It can also have positive effects on your overall health and general well-being.
A ‘Minimum Intervention’ care philosophy to manage dental disease.
What is involved in Minimal Intervention care?
Akit we will talk you through your oral health assessment and any treatment needed during your consultation. He may ask you questions about your health, diet or lifestyle and offer advice and tips about how to improve your oral health.
There is clinical and scientific evidence for a non-operative dental disease management strategy. Advances in understanding biology of decay and in operative technology and adhesive materials science, the decay process can now be stopped permitting the tooth to heal itself. This is achieved by:
- Identify disease and at-risk patients
- Disease control and prevention
- Minimally invasive restoration / repair / preservation of damaged tooth structure
- Recall check-ups
There is a wide range of care, treatments and products that falls into the category of MI dentistry, from your regular check-ups to more complex diagnostic tests and simple procedures including:
- Regular professional tooth cleaning to remove calculus (tartar) to benefit gum health
- Individual advice on how to improve your oral health through small lifestyle changes
- Fissure sealants and varnishes to help prevent cavity formation in back teeth
- Simple tests of your saliva and dental plaque to assess your risk of future problems
- Air abrasion techniques for the less invasive treatment
- Creams, gels and other products to apply to your teeth to prevent problems or build up lost enamel
MI is all about you getting involved, so do ask him about your care and treatments – he will be more than happy to explain and advise.